Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Glomerulonephritis

Question: Protein in Urine

KDCwv32 - Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:06 pm

I'm a 21 yr old female and I've had protein in my urine on and off for the past three years. This started about 6 months after taking birth control pills so I don't know if they are causing this or not. I also take allegra for my allergies. I've had urine analysis every 6 months the past 3 years or so and this past year they've done microalbium tests also. It keeps fluctuating. One time it'll be barely above normal, then back to normal, another time it will be high, and my last test i had done was back to normal. My doctor just said to drink plenty of water which i have been doing and its helped alot. I also had a blood tests done and it shows my kidney functions where normal. My question is could any of medication be causing this? And is this something I should get further evaluation on?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:20 pm

User avatar Generally the medications you are taking are not described as causing proteinuria.

There are several causes of proteinuria. They range from harmless, such as orthostatic proteinuria where protein shows up in the urine after standing for a while to severe causes such as nephrotic syndrome. With things such as nephrotic syndrome the amount of protein in the urine is very large. Your amounts are not consistent with this.

Most likely you have an incidental finding. It is a good idea to continue to follow this to ensure it does not get worse. Staying hydrated is important. As long as your protein amounts remain minimal and your kidney function/blood pressure are OK you are likely to be fine.

If there is concern, you may wish to see a nephrologist (kidney specialist). A 24 hour urine collection can be done to formally assess the amount of protein in the urine.

I hope this helps. Best wishes.
 KDCwv32 - Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:26 pm

I had a Micro/Cr ratio and it was 14.9 in a 0-30 range. Ive noticed that portein only shows up when my urine is concentrated, but once im hydrated (pale yellow-clear) it comes back negative so I also wanted to ask that since this has been happening for the past 3 yrs could this be some kind of kidney disease? When they first found the protein it was 2+ but now hasn't been above a trace since ive been drinking water. My primary GP just says unless the protein gets high that she just wants to watch it. Im just scared I may have some kidney damage already!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:19 am

User avatar It is very common to have protein in the urine when dehydrated. Your level of protein sounds as if it is in the normal range. I would recommend that you continue to follow up with your doctor for regular evaluations. If there is concern you can request evaluation by a nephrologist; however, I think it is very likely that you are OK and your kidneys have not sustained any damage at this point.

Again, my advice is limited by the internet setting so I cannot make any definitive statements. If there is concern I recommend you see a kidney specialist.

|