News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Renal failure and confusion

taahern - Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:19 am

This question is really about my mother. She had renal failure approximately 5 weeks ago. She's 71 and diabetic but she's always been good with her sugar. She had a heart attack at 50 (triple-bypass) and a stroke at 63. She's been in the hospital for 3
weeks and is receiving dialysis, however, she is still really confused and babbling. She has a pacemaker so an MRI is out of the question. The doctors are baffled and are taking a wait-and-see approach. Is it possible that she will recover neurologically? Could she be permanently brain-damaged? Do you have any suggestions for trying to bring her back to lucidity? I'm at the hospital every day and would be willing to try anything.
Thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:37 pm

User avatar Hello,
Sorry to hear about your mothers condition. Confusion is a known symptom of renal failure. It should be noted that her blood glucose level may be more difficult to control given her current situation and may also lead to confusion. Another cause of confusion common in renal failure patients is electrolyte imbalance and/or blood pH changes. I am sure these have all been checked by her doctors. I think a CT scan of the brain should also be done to determine the possibility of stroke since she has multiple risk factors.
 taahern - Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:47 am

Thank you, Doctor.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here