News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Blood Clotts in Urine

downchic21 - Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:51 pm

24 yr old, female, I am have been taking Valtrex, which I only metion because that is listed on side effects. I have had HSV-2 for about 11 months. I have had two UTIs in the last 4 months where blood was present ( which never had blood before when I had a UTI). I wake up last night and went to the bathroom and then 10 mins later I had to go again. So this time I turned the light on. I realized I was peeing bright red blood. What concerned me more was that there was blood clotts present. The blood clotts were to the point that it looked like I was on my period, but blood was only when I urinated. I am in a new state and don't have a doctor here yet. How serious is this? Could it have to do with the Valtrex?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:55 pm

User avatar There are several possible causes for hematuria (blood in the urine).

Regarding your valtrex, valtrex can cause the platelets to drop. If you have low platelets the blood cannot clot. This could cause continued bleeding in the urine.

Kidney stones may also cause blood in the urine. Even small stones that are not causing pain can cause blood, although frank blood as you are experiencing would be less likely to happen without pain.

Urine infections can also cause pain.

If the bleeding continues you should be evaluated by your doctor.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here