News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Glomerulonephritis

Question: Protein in Urine and Pregnancy

kriswal - Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:54 pm

I am a 25 year old female. I had nephrotic syndrome in my first pregnancy and then had a kidney biopsy 6 weeks after the birth. The biopsy showed endocapillary glomerinephritis (not sure on spelling). At my last checkup it showed my kidneys are now functioning perfectly but I am still losing high levels of protein in my urine. I don't understand if they are functioning ok, why am I losing protein? Also I am wanting to have another baby, is it safe to fall pregnant with high levels of protein already in the urine? What is the chance my previous illnesses will come back?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:44 pm

User avatar It is quite possible for the kidney to be "functioning" properly but still be loosing protein. With certain types of nephrotic syndrome this may be a frequent occurence. The kidney is quite complex and can manage to maintain kidney function even with significant disease.

Regarding your question about pregnancy there are many factors that play into this, including the state of your kidney function, the medications you are on, your blood pressures, etc.

I would suggest that you talk with your obstetrician and nephrologit to get the best advice specifically for you.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here