Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Glomerulonephritis

Question: Protein in Urine and Pregnancy

kriswal - Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:54 pm

I am a 25 year old female. I had nephrotic syndrome in my first pregnancy and then had a kidney biopsy 6 weeks after the birth. The biopsy showed endocapillary glomerinephritis (not sure on spelling). At my last checkup it showed my kidneys are now functioning perfectly but I am still losing high levels of protein in my urine. I don't understand if they are functioning ok, why am I losing protein? Also I am wanting to have another baby, is it safe to fall pregnant with high levels of protein already in the urine? What is the chance my previous illnesses will come back?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:44 pm

User avatar It is quite possible for the kidney to be "functioning" properly but still be loosing protein. With certain types of nephrotic syndrome this may be a frequent occurence. The kidney is quite complex and can manage to maintain kidney function even with significant disease.

Regarding your question about pregnancy there are many factors that play into this, including the state of your kidney function, the medications you are on, your blood pressures, etc.

I would suggest that you talk with your obstetrician and nephrologit to get the best advice specifically for you.

|