Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrotic Syndrome

Question: Home testing for Proteinuria

wguru - Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:42 pm

Can one perform a home test for proteinuria?

I live in California and am in reasonably good health except for an infected tooth. My pre-employment physical went well except for several oddities.

My blood pressure was on the border of being high and my urine tested postive for proteinuria.

In that I had eaten a lot of beef product the night before, I'm hoping that the combination of diet and tooth infection are the sole causes for proteinuria.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:00 pm

User avatar Testing the urine for protein during an illness can most definitely cause it to become positive.

With the elevated blood pressure and protein in your urine I would suggest that you see your doctor for another test once your illness has subsided. Home urine protein testing can be done by using protein dip sticks (I think they can be bought over-the-counter) but given your BP issues also it is a good idea to follow up with your doctor.

There are several "incidental" reasons for your findings such as most people have a slightly higher blood pressure when a little anxious for some reason (often referred to as white-coat syndrome). It is quite likely that you are well but best to be sure.

wguru - Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:45 pm

Thank you for the details (protein dip sticks) and I appreciate your added info. I have been drilling the internet for this issue and am aware of the wide array of potential causes for proteinuria and I'm surmizing my cause to be diet, but mostly a result of a tooth infection I have ignored for nearly a year as it seemeded to have been clearing up until recently when I began noticing what seems to be my kidneys have become a bit sore or achy at times, that and my blood pressure has been elevating, and even some chest discomfort, all I attribute to chronic infection (which today I obtained a script for 500 mg amoxicillian), plus I'm scheduling a general anesthia extraction asap. I feel much better with the Doxazosin and Amoxcillian, but one of my two biggest concerns are that I clear up my urine so that that my likely (to be prescribed) 24 hour sedimentation test and/or the albumen blood workup DO NOT result in any 'unfit for work' prognosis. I am immediately seeking medical treatment (tooth extraction) and exam/testing, plus in the interim I plan on trying an ACE inhibitor as well as water pills, but as I am also taking 4 mg Doxazosin (soon increasing that to 8 mg), I am unaware if the inhibitors are avaialble over the counter (and what if any effects one might cause with the Doxazosin and Amoxicillian). I would greatly appreciate any added comment towards my obtaining a 'fit for work' prognosis.
 wguru - Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:00 pm

Additionally, my dentist suggested a script of tetracycline but in that he said I shouldn't take that and Amoxcillian at the same time, I chose the Amoxacillian.

I'm grasping at straws trying to expedite a speedy 'fit for work' prognosis (in that the job offer is the best one I've ever had and sorely in need).

I even tried getting the tooth out today (Saturday), but their office was closed. I seem to have until some time this coming week to get a 'clearance' regarding the initial proteinuria finding.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:51 pm

User avatar Staying well hydrated will help as well. If your proteinuria is not improving you shoud consider seeing a nephrologist for further work up.

Best wishes and good luck with your job offer.
 wguru - Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:19 pm

Thank you again for your kindly afforded replies.

Yes, as many, I do tend to not drink enough liquids and especially so on the day of my physical.

I was planning on seeing a Doctor asap and really appreciate the speciality reference (Nephrologist) because I had been attributing the kidney discomfort to back strain, but it has become evident I am experiencing some kidney issues.

Being fairly physically fit, late 50's and male, I have been undergoing frequent physicals, averaging them from 6 to 12 months.

And I've been watching my prostrate closely, but must admit I need to start watching my intakes.

Again, thanks ever so much for the replies.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:49 pm

User avatar Glad to help. I hope you find our site helpful and informative.

|