Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: transplanted kidney with problem

deenap - Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:30 am

hi i am a 25 year male and my wife is 22 she had sufferd from nephrotic syndrome and progressed into end stage failure for the passed year and on the 20/03/2007 she had a transplant done and the kidney was donnated by her twin sister, a perfect match,its been like a month now and apon her urine test done they picked up a high protein leak in her urine at 3mg and after doing the 24 hr urine test its gone up to 5mg, her blood tests are all clear and all other levels are normal and good,
her existing two kidneys are still in there and the doctor told her that it could be the nephrotic syndrome again affecting the new kidney and medication can help control it or it could be the two shruken kidneys that could have produced urine and if so that would have to be removed, a scan has shown that the kidney is healthy and not shruken and blood flow is good and its healthy but just the protien leak..

she is on 6 medications

1. omeprazole
2. prednisone
3. pyridoxide
4. simvastatin
5. isoniazid
6. prazosin

please could you give me more insight on this and its outcome
or what does this mean
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 11, 2007 9:23 pm

User avatar My knowledge of transplant medicine is limited but I'll answer the best I can.

Your doctor's two explanations both seem possible. The big question is does her transplanted kidney have problems or is it the old kidneys causing the problems. If the old kidneys are still producing urine they can very much continue to spill protein until they stop functioning.

If the new kidney is beginning to have problems it is possible that what ever caused the nephrotic syndrome in the old kidney is now affecting the new one. Another possibility is that the new kidney is being damaged by rejection. In this case, one would generally see changes in the renal function (elevated creatinine) I would think.

If the problem continues, she may need a biopsy of her transplanted kidney to see if anything is going on.

|