Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: donations with cysts and stones

jdcf - Fri May 11, 2007 8:35 am

My wife is now on dialysis second time after rejection of her cadaveric kidney which lasted about 5 yrs. Her nephrologist says that a living donor kidney without any match is better than a cadaveric kidney with many matches.

Before her 1st kidney I was being worked up to donate and a cyst was found on my kidney. She received a kidney before I could complete testing; the surgeon told me to save mine in case she needed one down the line.

This time I am being worked up again and am told that I cannot donate because of the cysts I have and stones. (This is same hospital as before but that specific surgeon is now gone.)

I have read that many other transplant centers take kidneys such as mine, remove cysts and stones before transplanting them in recipient.

Is there reason why this center is so conservative with my kidney? Supposedly I am fine. dr says they just don't know the long term impact of the cysts on my own kidney and that there would be a chance that down the line, I might be in renal failure.

I would really appreciate some thoughts. What are the statistics with my situation that it could go bad for me--especially when my wife needs a kidney so bad.

Thanks so much.
Respectfully yours,
jdcf
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 16, 2007 4:19 am

User avatar I am unable to give you any specific statistics, etc. but I can give you a little perspective on why the doctors are being conservative.

There are two main reasons. 1) If your doctor was to take your kidney for her and it were for some reason to develop problems it would put her back in the same position she is in now. and 2) If they take one kidney from you and your other kidney develops problems you may find yourself in need of dialysis and a transplant as well.

While there is no guarantee that this will occur, if there are some known potential problems with the donor kidney it does increase the risk of the transplant.

Each surgeon decides for themselves what comfort level they have in using various donor kidneys.

jdcf - Wed May 16, 2007 12:09 pm

You have ansered 3 of my recent questions and I appreciate it. Always there are health issues at our house.

I will continue working through the questions about the transplant. My donating is just one aspect. I am also want to know if the next kidney will give her better quality of life than the last one or the life that she now has with dialysis.

I know there are no guarantees and that my wife is fortunate to have had even one opportunity at extending her life. I recently read that life expectancy on dialysis is about 5 yrs which is about the same as with a transplant. When you love someone, even when there are so many others with much more misfortune, these statistics are nonetheless very disheartening.

She never ever complains; I am the whiner. We have lived at hospitals for the past 10 years.

Take care and thanks again.

John
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 16, 2007 10:57 pm

User avatar I do hope that all goes well for you and a transplant can be done for your wife.

|