Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrotic Syndrome

Question: left leg is smaller and shorter than right right leg

douayang - Mon May 14, 2007 6:54 pm

Age 29
Male

For many years I've always wondered what happened to my left leg or was I born like this. My left leg is a little shorter and smaller than my right. I walk with a little limp. The left leg is not as strong either and there really is no muscle on it like the other one. Besides walking, I'd say I use this leg like 15% of the time. Anything else relies on the right leg. My parents told me that when I was a baby (back in Thailand) I started walking already and then one day I just couldn't walk anymore and didn't start walking again when I was like two (in the U.S.). Just wanted to find out what happened and if I can get my leg to be strong like the right leg. Any help would be nice.

thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon May 21, 2007 3:38 pm

User avatar The difference in lengths can generally be easily corrected for by a shoe insert. A good shoe store or an orthopedic specialist can often measure and create an appropriately sized insert for you.

With your decrease in muscle mass, physical therapy may help. I wonder if there was a little nerve damage to that leg at some point causing your decreased muscle strength and mass.

You may want to see your doctor about getting some physical therapy appointments.

douayang - Thu May 24, 2007 11:51 am

thank you Dr. Lowe for the advices. Do you think this was something that I was born with? My parents told me they were usually never home because they had to go out and work and just left me with my 8-9 year old sister. I'm just wondering if something happened to me during the first and a half years. Like if I was dropped or something like that and landed on my leg. And lastly would I just go to a regular family doctor or would I have to go to a specialist?

Thank you. I appreciate your help

|