Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Passing out HELP!!!!!!!

Kisses0fsunshine - Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:53 am

Hi! My name is melissa and I need some advice or actually a concern about one of my friends. We went to work out yesturday and he worked very very hard and he worked himself to pass out. He passed out on the floor and woke up about a minute later. I was wondering how this happens and he said he was breathing very hard before he passed out. Is it from lac of oxgen? or does he just need to keep a pase he is good at? I thought it could be low blood pressure cause mose cases of passing out is that. I'm very worried that is more about it then he thinks and I hope its nothing bad the will effect his life. please give me some advice, facts, or anything that will calm my nerves down! [u]thanks alot!!!! [/u]

Melissa :cry:
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:23 pm

User avatar Hello Kisses0fsunshine,
On exercising, especially heavily, oxygen demand by the muscles increases. Blood vessels to the muscles dilate allowing for more blood to reach the muscles. Hence blood is diverted away from the brain and other organs to supply the muscles. If that happens too suddenly or too much then oxygen supply to the brain decreases leading to black outs. Please advise your friend to take it easy there is no benefit at all in working out aggressively.

|