News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Has anyone ever had a ureteric stent from kidney stones?

darkestdays30 - Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:18 pm

For anyone who reads this and has had a ureteric stent, could you please let me know if you had any problems with it? I've had it for 3 days and it's been causing me severe pain in my bladder to the point of crying, some flank pain, I screem everytime I try to pea as the pain gets EXTREME, it's running down into both of my legs, I'm bleeding like crazy, and it hurts so much worse when I walk. The nurse said this was perfectly normal but I just can't see how. Can the stent cause inflammation?
 TSJ2004 - Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:03 am

Hi my mum had a stent and was literally crying in pain for about 3 weeks before it started to settle down... She had the flank pain but said the burning bladder was just the worst thing in the world.

Drink lots of water otherwise the pain intensifies, and also keep an eye on your iron levels, the loss of blood made my mums blood count drop too low.

It will settle down :-)

Good luck, I wish you well x
 darkestdays30 - Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:23 am

That was worse than the kidney stones. I had it taken out 3 days after they put it in. Then I took puridium and it helped my bladder pain so much. The pain did not settle down until I got the stent out. What a nightmare.
 lalezzle - Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:32 am

Hi! I had a stent while pregnant for almost a month. [b]The pain was so horrible that I ended-up on a duragesic patch (dermal pain patch) to control it.[/b] The Urologist acted like it was rare to have such pain. I eventually requested a nephrostomy tube. Although this sounds horrible and placement wasn't fun (I could not be put under and was pregnant) it was much less painfull in the long run. There is more risk for infection and there are maintenance and vanity issues (your kidney will drain from your back through a tube into a bag), but it was better than the pain. Google "nephrosty tube" and you will find plenty of information on the procedure. Good Luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here