News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Dialysis

Question: Shunt in arm

Cantante - Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:29 pm

My mother (62)has Wegener's and went into kidney failure and was on dialysis for 6 months before kidneys came back. Ironically, her kidneys came back a week after shunt was placed in her arm. Even though she is not on dialysis anymore, she still has the shunt in her arm and has recently noticed 2 knots along the scar of the shunt. Is this normal?

She is currently on Cytoxan, prednisone, renavite, and lasik pill.

Thanks!
 Marceline F, RN - Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:21 am

User avatar Dear Cantante,
Without visually inspecting the arm, I can say that yes, frequently "knots" can be noted along the placement of the scar. An AV fistula (arteriovenous fistula) or shunt, is a surgically created shortcut or bypass from an artery to a vein for the purpose of dialysis. The anastamosis (joining) of the two vessels can be felt as scar tissue. The important thing is that there is a strong bruit or "thrill" felt along the scar line which indicated that the fistula is working. I am delighted on your mom's behalf that she has had renal recovery and the only caution I will remind you is that she should never have blood pressures or lab work done on that arm from here forward. The next time she has followup for the surgery, ask the surgeon about the "knots".

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here