Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Kidney Function Calculator

Anonymous - Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:52 pm

I have been looking for a Kidney Function Calculator. There used to be one posted, and I've lost the web page. It would calculate kidney function based upon Creatin level, age and weight. Do you know where I can locate one, or maybe you know the formula, and I can calculate the level myself.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:54 pm

User avatar Dear Kmuschel,

You haven't introduce yourself to us. Like are you a medical student? resident?

We just added a kidney function calculator to the website that you are welcome to use all the time.

The formula for estimating creatinine clearnce for practical purposes of course (like adjusting medications dosages) is based upon the fact that creatinine is formed in the body by the enzyme creatinine kinase which is present in the muscles so if you have a big body habitus then it will not be surprising that you will a relatively elevated creatinine but this does not mean that your kidneys are bad, also, if the patient's body habitus is "petit" a normal creatinine may be deceiving. Second due to the fact that with age, there is a normal decline in creatinine over time, the age should be put into consideration as well. Last but not least, since there is a difference between the males and the females in regarding the total body muscle mass, this factor is considered as well.

The formula is:

[140-Age(yrs)] X weight(Kg)X 0.85(female)
##############
serum creatinine(mg/dl) X 72

Hope this was not boring.

Anyway, welcome to our community and hope to hear from you soon once more with more questions that i hope i will have answers for!!!!!!!

|