Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Glomerulonephritis

Question: Membranoproliferative Glomerulonephritis

Anonymous - Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:56 pm

Hi! Good Day! Im researching and would like to know more about membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis. My aunt is sick with this disease. But still the doctors here is baffled about her diagnosis. She is a 57y/o female,executive. With a history of hypertension. She has hematuria though no proteinuria. She is asymptomatic, with no edema or the usual signs. Accdg. to her doctor, clinically she has chronic renal failure, though the etiology is unknown, histopath findings shows she has membranoprolifeartive glomerulonephritis and benign nephrosclerosis. Her other laboratory results are also contradictory according to her nephrologist here. Thats why no definite diagnosis can be stated yet. Please help me to know more about it, or direct me to websites that cane help me about this disease. Since her case is very rare, and her nephrologist says thats its a very good study case since its very rare and the laboratories results is puzzling. Im a medical student, and im worried for my aunt. Please help. thanks.
 Anonymous - Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:02 pm

Dear J-student,
This is an interesting case indeed but as usual I would like more information
1- you mentioned she has no proteinuria and no edema which is congruent ... why did she have a biosy in the first place? I would like to know the results of a 24 hour collection for protein in mg/day and creatinine clearance in ml/min
2- you mentioned that there are "puzzling lab results" yet you have not revealed these.

Please submit your aunt's race, complete past medical surgical and family history as well as social habits. Include prior hospitalizations and any medications she might be taking either prescribed or over the counter. In addition I would ask to know the results of her kidney ultrasouns with regard to size and echogenicity as well as all of her lab work in chronological order. I would like to know the reason for her biopsy and the area of the world that you live in. Was the reason for biopsy isolated hematuria (in other words blood in the urine with minimal protein)?

I am interested in this case and if you reply I hope to be able to at least share some of what I know

Dr. L

|