News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Hydronephrosis & hydroureter

kidneypain - Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:12 pm

In 2002, while pregnant, they found hydronephrosis and hydroureter on the right side. It continued to worsen, so they stented me. At the beginning, the stent provided much needed relief, but after a few weeks, the hydronephrosis came back. It continued to worsen, and a month before my baby was due, my left kidney began swelling as well. They delivered the baby then because of the kidney's swelling. The docs took the stent out after I had healed from the delivery since it was no longer working and caused great discomfort. The doc wanted to wait and see if now since the baby was out if the hydronephrosis would go away - it's now been 5 years and I still have it. I have periodic horrible pain on the right side that travels to the groin (which I assume is the path of my ureter). It lasts until I take pain meds for a few days, then it will get to a bearable level for a while then it comes back. Occasionally it is associated with a UTI, but most of the time - urine is clean.

My gp and my gynecologist both tell me I need to find out what the cause is - but the urologist I went to felt like we'll just wait and see - or do exploratory surgery and put another stent in. My last IVP about 1 year ago showed the hydronephrosis and ureter on the right - but the kidney was not damaged. I had an ultrasound at my gynecologist office 2 weeks ago due to pain and he said the pain is my kidneys - he could feel it which is why he did the ultrasound.

The urologist said that the IVP's and MRI's do not show a clear blockage which is why there's the whole wait and see attitude. But 5 years later I am tired of this pain! I am afraid of surgery because I also have developed a bleeding disorder and have a tendency to hemorrhage after surgery. I am afraid of a stent because it didn't last and it was extremely uncomfortable. When he pulled it out it was covered in crystals and you can just imagine how that felt being pulled through my urethra!

Since the urologist doesn't seem all that concerned, should I see a nephrologist? I don't want to end up with kidney damage eventually which is what I read can happen. Is it important that I truly find the cause - or should I just deal with it?

Sorry so lengthy, wanted to make sure you had the whole picture.

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:20 pm

User avatar Hi Kidneypain,

There may be some variation amongst physicians so keep in mind that my answer is my opinion. I believe that hydronephrosis should be worked up to find the cause.

I would be suspicious of some obstruction or external compression, especially since it started during pregnancy.

Another possible cause is vesicoureteral reflux. Normally the ureters have valves that prevent urine from flowing backwards up into the ureter and kidney after entering the bladder. In some people this valve does not work properly allowing urine to reflux back up into the kidney. If this reflux is severe enough it can cause hydroureter and hydronephrosis. This can be tested with a study known as a VCUG (voiding cystourethrogram).

Seeing a nephrologist is probably not a bad idea. Follow up with your urologist is also important.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here