News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Kidney puzzle

derek57 - Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:20 pm

45 Female - I was in the hospital twice for left kidney pain. I have a partial obstruction that I'm being treated for, and I have a followup in a week for it. I have a dual collecting system on the left with two ureters, which is why I'm having problems.Now, today I'm having sharp pain in my right flank. This has never happened, I've only had problems with my left side. This has me very confused. It hurts sharply in my right back(kidney area) when I inhale. I've also had my gall bladder removed 9 months ago, the first time my left kidney hurt. I'm on Cipro for infection.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:31 pm

User avatar Hi Derek57,

There are a few possibilities. You may have a kidney stone that has formed on the right. You may also have an infection that managed to infect the right kidney. This could occur if you developed a UTI that spread up the ureter.

Another possibility is that it is unrelated to your kidneys. You may have a small pneumonia or area of pleurisy (inflammation of the lung lining) in the lower right part of the lung.

I would recommend you see your doctor to have this further evaluated. You may need an abdominal CT scan to look for stones or signs of infection in the kidney or elsewhere.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here