Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Kidney puzzle

derek57 - Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:20 pm

45 Female - I was in the hospital twice for left kidney pain. I have a partial obstruction that I'm being treated for, and I have a followup in a week for it. I have a dual collecting system on the left with two ureters, which is why I'm having problems.Now, today I'm having sharp pain in my right flank. This has never happened, I've only had problems with my left side. This has me very confused. It hurts sharply in my right back(kidney area) when I inhale. I've also had my gall bladder removed 9 months ago, the first time my left kidney hurt. I'm on Cipro for infection.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:31 pm

User avatar Hi Derek57,

There are a few possibilities. You may have a kidney stone that has formed on the right. You may also have an infection that managed to infect the right kidney. This could occur if you developed a UTI that spread up the ureter.

Another possibility is that it is unrelated to your kidneys. You may have a small pneumonia or area of pleurisy (inflammation of the lung lining) in the lower right part of the lung.

I would recommend you see your doctor to have this further evaluated. You may need an abdominal CT scan to look for stones or signs of infection in the kidney or elsewhere.

|