News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Several Potential Indicators of Kidney Disease

Frank026 - Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:05 am

I am a 32 year old male, weight 145 lbs. (lost 20 lbs. in over a year), height 6' 0" and have some concern about some tests I have had recently. My creatinine level has fluctuated between 1.2 and 1.3 mg/dl for the past 10 months - no baseline level before this to judge any increase. BUN has been pretty consistent around 12. Magnesium at 2.3 mg/dl (high normal). Have had an abdominal ultrasound with no abnormal findings, several urinalysis with no abnormal findings, but pretty consistent foam in my urine. My concern is the creatinine level compared to my weight and the fact that I am not very muscular and some fairly consistent back pain even after voiding. Urologist and Internal Medicine Physicians are not concerned, but I am. Thank you in advance for your time and help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:13 pm

User avatar Hi Frank026,

A normal creatinine is generally considered to be around 1. 1.2 and 1.3 are really very minimally elevated. I would not be particularly concerned about this.

The foamy urine can sometimes indicate protein in the urine. Protein should have showed up on the urinalysis.

There are several reasons that you may be having your back pain. My best advise for you is to continue to follow up with your doctor to discuss your symptoms. My experience has been that eventually the cause of these illnesses presents itself.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here