Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Help with blood test Low Zinc no chromuim & more

beccawls - Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:34 pm

Good Afternoon, I am a 44 yr old female, in general good health. I am 5 years out from a gastric bypass. Just got back my annual blood work and there are some things that concern me.

WBC H 11.1
NEUT H 7.9
HOMOCYST (E) INE P/S H 152
METHYMALONIC ACID S H 549
ZINC serum L 64
CHROMUIM PLASMA.........NON DETEECTED

What does this all mean?

I have taken multivitam as dr order everyday since surgery as well as calcuim w/vit D. I watch what I am eatting, walk daily.
Thanks for any insight you can give me
Becky

I know that post op gastric bypass is pron to deficiency. That is why I am religous about taking my pills & making sure I am eatting propperly.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:56 pm

User avatar Dear Becky,

What is the normal range mentioned on the lab work for these blood tests?

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and waiting for your reply.

beccawls - Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:01 pm

WBC..... H 11.1....................................4.0-11.0
NEUT ..... H 7.9.....................................2.0-7.5
HOMOCYST (E) INE P/S.......H 15.2...........4.6-12.4
METHYMALONIC ACID S...H 549..............73-376
ZINC serum.......L 64........................................70-150
CHROMUIM PLASMA.........NON DETEECTED..........0.1-2.1

All the other test that were run I have all the results if they help you

Clinical Indication/Diagnosis

Short Bowel Syndrome 579.3
Hepatic Steatosis 571.8

Specific test/exams & any special instructions

CBC / DIFF
FOLIC ACID
B12
COMPREHENSIVE METABOLIC PANEL
VITAMIN A (RETINOL-FREEZE/PROTECT FROM LIGHT)
25 OH VITAMIN D (FREEZE)

ZINC
MAGNESIUM
HOMOCYSTEINE LEVEL
METHYLMALONIC ACID
CHROMIUM
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:52 pm

User avatar Dear Becky,

Having an elevation in methylmalonic acid means that you have a degree of vitamin b12 deficiency.

Increased homocysteine is associated with increased risk of arterial thrombosis, but i don't think that your level is that high.

Severe zinc deficiency can cause inflammation of skin, delayed wound healing and diarrhea.

Chromium deficiency leads to glucose intolerance amongst other things like abnormal lipid (cholesterol) profile and neurological abnormalities. If a person is healthy and does not have any symptoms, it is debatable whether or not, chromium supplementation is benefitial.

Zinc and chromium are known as trace elements. The blood tests used to detect their levels are disputed by some not to reveal the real status of those elements and dispute their value if the patient is not symptomatic.

But, i think that you are already taking a multivitamin with all those supplements. If not, i think you should talk to your doctor about it.

beccawls - Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:00 pm

I do not think I am vit def. here is what I have

Vit A serum 45........30-90
vit D, 25-Hydroxy 42........8.9-46.7
B12 133.........50-1500
Folate 8.1.....0.5-20.0
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:29 pm

User avatar Dear Becky,

Thank you very much for the update.

Methylmalonic acid has always been used to evaluate for vitamin b12 deficiency in cases of low normal values like yours and some signs pointing to vitamin b12 deficiency.

beccawls - Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:38 pm

Thank you for you time. 1 last question. This is the 1st time in 5 years that my blood work has come back bad. What can I do besides increase B12 intake to prevent this in the future & what are the long term effects of these tyoes of results if I can not get them in check..sorry that was 2 questions
Becky
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:27 pm

User avatar Dear Becky,

Thank you very much for the update.

i don't think that you have severe deficiency in any of the elements and vitamins. May be very mild vitamin b12 with even a normal blood level of vitamin b12.

You have to talk to your doctor before changing anything in your regimen.

The consequences of having a vitamin b12 deficiency is anemia, inflammation of the tongue and mouth, inflammation of the peripheral nerves and some psychiatric manifestations like depression if deficiency very severe and prolonged.

beccawls - Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:20 pm

Thank you for answering my questions without making me feeling dumb. Have a super week
Becky

|