Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Creatin Levels

Anonymous - Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:47 pm

My usual creatin level is 2.1 and is now 2.6.
Based upon weight 199 and age 66 my creatin clearance is now 3.1. I am a type two diabetic.
What can I consume or otherwise do to reduce my creatin levels other than take additinal Lasix ?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:50 pm

User avatar Dear Dom,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Based on the information you gave, your estimated creatinine clearance is 35 cc/minute (if you are a male) and 30 cc/minute (if you are a female).

You can check it yourself at this link in our website http://www.doctorslounge.com/calc/creatclear.htm

Since you are a diabetic and have chronic renal insufficiency, you must have had a 24 hours urine collection at some time to see how much proteins you have in the urine in addition to find out what's your actual creatinine clearance.

I am not sure whether you have any additional medical problems with diabetes like high blood pressure or not.

The best thing to do is to take a medication belonging to the group called ACE inhibitors which have been strongly proven to reduce the effect of diabetes on the kidneys but this has to be done under medical supervision because they have significant side effects including renal failure among others.

Another thing is to control your blood sugar the best you can in addition to very good control of your blood pressure and avoiding any medications that can harm your kidneys such as over the counter pain relievers like ibuprofen and the like.

And i am not sure why you are taking lasix but it does not make the creatinine levels go down.

i think it is time for you to see a specialist in kidney diseases to be followed up regularly.

Once more thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com

|