News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Urologist, Nephrologist, OBGYN, or Internist?

Logansmommy - Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:34 am

Please help. I am a 25 year old female that recently gave birth to my 1st child 5 months ago. During my pregnancy, I was hospitalized twice for kidney stones and hydronephrosis. I have never experienced a bladder infection, kidney problems, flank pain, or mucous in the urine, prior to my pregnancy. I did have a Mirena IUD inserted 3 months post delivery, and since have experienced unusual cramping, which my OBGYN advised can be common. I have passed mucous in my urine since delivery, but this seems to decrease and increase with no significant pattern. During my pregnancy, all of my symptoms were on my right side. Now I am having left flank pain, and changes in my urine. It varies from dark yellow to dark amber. It doesn't seem to matter how much cranberry juice or water I drink. I have had a low grade fever, nausea, and an overall weak feeling since delivering my healthy little boy. These symptoms seem to be increasing with time and not decreasing. My OBGYN advised that once I had the baby these symptoms would dissapear. Who should I have look into this? Should I see a Urologist, could it be from my IUD? Are these symptoms normal after pregnancy? Could I have a kidney problem? I don't have a family history of Kidney problems other than my grandfather having multiple kidney stones. I am not taking any medications, or have I ever had a surgery. My child was born naturally, with no complications. Help! What should I do?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:48 am

User avatar Hi Logansmommy,

Your symptoms may all be from a chronic urine infection. Some bacteria that cause urine infections can also induce kidney stone formation.

I would recommend you follow up with your obstetrician. This way you can discuss the possibility of the IUD causing problems as well as be tested for a UTI and get a thorough evaluation.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here