Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: kidney cyst

Anonymous - Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:07 pm

what is a kidney cyst I am swelling over my wholee body
 Anonymous - Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:08 pm

good day to you! no one can really give an accurate assessment on the disease you have. In the first place, you cannot say it is a cysts not unless an ultrasound or any other diagnostic procedure was made already. Mere pain in the flank does not really suggest renal cysts- it may be pyelonephritis, or kidney stones. If you are a female patient, have an OB-GYN clearance, who knows you might be having Pelvic inflammatory disease already.
Swelling all over may mean "anasarca" or generalized edema. Nephrotic syndrome usually causes this. Consult a doctor and have urinalysis - check for proteinuria or proteins in the urine which is generally an abnormal finding.
Do you have high blood pressure? Does is vary? You might be having pheochromocytoma if this is the case.
Then again, it is best that you consult your doctor. If you are sure that it is really renal in origin, better consult a nephrologists.
Get well my friend
 Anonymous - Wed May 21, 2003 11:02 am

I do have a cyst on my kidney and it has been hurting really bad. I don't have health Ins now so i don't want to go to the Dr. Is it bad if a cyst burts? I know I should go have it looked at to see how large it is etc but I can't afford it.

Jen

|