Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: hydronephrosis?

alaskar - Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:02 am

i am 22 year old male.

two months ago, i had an upper abdomen ultrasound.

It showed that the right kidney measures 10.4 X 4.9cm. Left kidney shows "mild hydronephrosis." left renal pelvis measures 17.6mm. no masses or calculi inside. Left kidney measures 11.4 X 5.2cm.

my questions are:
*do i need urgent care? since i did not continue for financial reasons.
*how serious is that?
*is there any recommended diet?
*what could be the cause?
*my doctor suggested IVU, what's that?
*i have some pain and discomfort sometimes in both kidneies? why both?

thank you for your help :)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:31 pm

User avatar Hi Alaskar,

I've copied your questions to be sure I address them all:

*do I need urgent care? since I did not continue for financial reasons.
This should not be something that needs urgent care but does deserve follow up to make sure it is not getting worse.

*how serious is that?
The hydronephrosis is mild and likely not a major issue. The more concerning issue would be to see if it is getting worse (or better).

*is there any recommended diet?
At this point, there should be no diet restrictions.

*what could be the cause?
There are a few possible causes of hydronephrosis. It basically occurs because of increased pressure in the ureters. This may be do to an obstruction such as with an abnormal valve, reflux of urine backwards up the ureter or other obstruction such as a kidney stone.

*my doctor suggested IVU, what's that?
An IVU is a test where some die is injected into the veins that is then filtered out by the kidney. X-rays are taken to follow the dye and see if it drains normally into the bladder. It can also be followed during voiding to see if the urethra is normal. This test can show obstructions if they are present. It is a less commonly used test, now days, but still has some good indications and may be helpful in your case.

*I have some pain and discomfort sometimes in both kidneies? why both?
This is a little harder to say. It may be due to some increased pressure on both sides, even though the hydronephrosis is only on one side.

I would suggest you follow up with your doctor to determine how best to follow this. It's likely that you should have a repeat ultrasound in a few weeks or so to see if the condition has gotten better, worse or stayed the same. If it isn't better, an IVU may help. It may also help to see a urologist.

|