Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Pos kidney transplant calf pain

Sally Evans - Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:38 am

Pt is 50 year old male

my question is what would be the next step if 9 days after transplant surgery patient c/o severe pain in right calf ?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:20 pm

User avatar Hi Sally,

This is not my area of expertise but I wanted to give you at least some information on the subject. My first thought would be to make sure that the electrolyte levels are normal, in particular the calcium and potassium levels. Both of these can cause muscle spasms if they are abnormally high or low.

Be sure to discuss the symptoms with the patients surgeon so that the medical team is aware of all the issues going on.

Sally Evans - Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:43 pm

Thank you for your reply, Potassiun level-5.3, Calcium-9.7, Magmesium- 1.6. All other labs were pretty good. Would the Magnesium level of 1.6 cause muscle pain?

Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:53 pm

User avatar A low magnesium level may affect muscles. Generally, hypomagnesemia causes more of a decreased muscle strength/tone in the muscles. Spasms may be possible but would be less common.

Sally Evans - Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:31 pm

Dr. Lowe,

I didn't think the magnesium was the problem either. What if the donor( pt's brother) was in C-ICU with blood clots in both lungs? What would you think about the calf pain then?

Thank you