Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Shooting pains and numbness, kidney stone?

lindzyb - Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:19 pm

Warning, this will be long. I know I have posted in many different topics on this forum, and probably seem like a hypochondriac, but I am at my wits end.

Again, i'm 22 female, diagnosed with PCOS & Hypothyroidism. I have had no sugeries, am now on Synthroid & just was prescribed a weeks worth of Levaquin for "possible" Kidney Infection.

Aside from the things listed above, I have pains that I won't even mention to my doctor because I KNOW he probably thinks Im a quack. I have been to the doctor so much in recent months it's trumped my entire PAST in doctors visits.

I don't even know where to begin but if somebody could help me and reccomend something I would be VERY grateful. First off, My doctor told me that when he did the urinalysis to find my kidney infection, he said "I found more pus than blood." Which he said indicated that there could be a possible chance for a kidney stone, but 'more likely' (in his words) an infection. But then he said my symptoms didnt match an infection, but a stone. Symptoms are sharp pains that started about 4 months ago, I would have one a week or so, then it escalated this weekend and I went to the doctor yesterday. (11/5/07)

In accordance with that I have pain in my left hip, numbness in my fingers & top of my foot, random 'shocking' pains in different parts of my body (mostly upper torso), jolting pain just below my right breast (this has only happened twice), low back pain, and the past few weeks it has been VERY easy for me to injur my ankles for some reason. Just the slightest bend or twist on BOTH ankles is incredibly painful. Can ANYONE give me some answers, or advice? I'm sure my doctor is sick of seeing me and quite frankly I'm sick of going to the doctor and being in pain at 22!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:29 pm

User avatar Hi Lindzyb,

Your pain sounds like it is nerve related. Shooting pains and numbness indicate a nerve problem. You may want to see a neurologist for an evaluation of this. An MRI of the spine may be helpful also.

Regarding your urinalysis, blood and pus indicate infection. Kidney stones can cause pain in the back and abdomen but your pain sounds quite diffuse. It would not be expected of a kidney stone to have this extensive of a pain distribution. If kidney stones are suspected a CT scan of the abdomen is the best way to assess for them.

It is important that your doctor know all the things going on. I would not worry about your doctor thinking you are making things up. Without all the information it becomes much more difficult to make a diagnosis.

|