Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: IgG and EBV test results

cmbajb - Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:44 pm

Hi. I am a 46 year old female, panhypopituitary, gluten intolerance, fibromyalgia and working diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome. I had surgery for Cushing's disease 12 years ago, successful surgery.

I recently had IgG and IgG subclass tests done recently. All of the test were low-normal, and IgG was below normal. I also had EBV tests done, both tests the results were extremely high.

Any thoughts, in particular the IgG test results? Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:02 pm

User avatar Hi Cmbajb,

The answer to this depends on why you had the test done. In general, if you are not having excessive infections the low levels of IgG are likely not significant. Normal levels are based on a bell curve so there will be some people that are still normal but are outside the "normal levels".

The testing for EBV is actually a 4 antibody test. If the EBV IGG and EBNA antibodies were the ones that were elevated it is significant for a past, rather than current infection. If the IgM antibody or the Early antigen antibody are positive it is more indicative of a current infection.

Feel free to post some more information if this doesn't answer your question.

cmbajb - Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:27 pm

Thank you for the information. Within the past few months, new symptoms have developed. Allergies. H. Pylori. Gastroenteritis. Gluten intolerance. Worsening sore throat. Much worse joint pain (shoulders, hips, hands). Not horrid, but with my all my medical conditions, waiting until things get really bad and then treat is the worst scenario. Some of my docs have attributed the new symptoms to my fibro/cfs, but I've had fibro for 11 years without this and my cfs symptoms of fatigue, balance and cognitive problems are not getting worse.

|