Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Kidney function/Ultrasound?

lindzyb - Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:33 pm

22 Female, PCOS, Hypothrydoidism, had a kidney infection a few weeks ago. On Synthroid & taking cranberry pills.

I had a kidney infection a few weeks ago, took 5 days of Levaquin. The pain in my flank never really stopped, so I went back for an ultrasound of my Kidneys. The Doc said there was no sign of a stone & said he didn't find anything abnormal. I am still having occasional pains & was wondering if on the ultrasound the doctor could tell how well my kidneys were functioning? I know it's kind of weird to be worried about that at a young age, but it worries me because it's been so long (about 3 to 4 weeks) since I was first diagnosed w/ the Kidney Infection.
 Sandy Tracy RN - Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:23 pm

User avatar hi, Lindzyb

Thanks for writing. During an ultrasound of the kidneys you can see the size and shape of the kidneys. The ultrasound is used to see kidney stones, malformed kidneys or obstructed kidneys.

You may not be over the kidney infection, have you had your urine retested after the antibiotics? You may want to try this. If your urine was not cultured prior to the antibiotics you may want to consider this also. A culture will tell if a specific antibiotic is resistant or sensitive to the strain of infection.

So in response to your questions, you can tell several things from an ultrasound. In order to see the true functioning of the kidneys more testing is required. Such as a voiding cystogram. You may want to follow up again if the pain has not resolved.

Thanks again and good luck
Sandy RN
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:32 am

User avatar Dear Lindzyb,

Yes I agree with Sandy, your ultrasonography could reveal several things. One of the most important things your doctor would want to rule out at this stage is that your kidney infection has not resulted in the formation of an abscess (perinephric abscess).

Kidney function can rather crudely be assessed by ultrasound by noting the echogenicity (brightness) of the kidneys. However, as Sandy explained there are better tests for assessing renal function (e.g. creatinine clearance or even simple renal function tests).

A voiding cystography, on the other hand, is performed to detect abnormalities of the bladder and the urethra.

lindzyb - Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:47 am

I went this morning to do a 2nd Urinalysis. He did do a culture on the urine the first time I went in, and said that there was not very much bacteria in the urine so he doesn't understand why I'm still having pain or might still have an infection. I have been taking cranberry pills & AZO's in moderation & drinking water to try to help out my kidneys while we try to figure out what's going on. After he does the 2nd Urinalysis, & see's that I have a kidney infection still, what will he do? Will I be put on long term antibiotics?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:06 am

User avatar A culture will help determine the 'right' antibiotic for you. Antibiotics are given for a specific course never long term.

Please update this thread with the results.
 lindzyb - Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:12 pm

I forgot to mention, he also told me that the bacteria had not affected my bladder. What exactly does that mean? Wouldn't an infection go up through the bladder first then to the kidneys? I have not heard back from him yet regarding the Urinalysis this morning, I will post again when I do.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:46 pm

User avatar Actually ascending infection is one way but hematogenous (via the bloodstream) is another possibility. You would have to ask your doctor about this, as I am not sure what he meant exactly.

Keep us posted!
 lindzyb - Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:52 am

Ok, well, he put me on 10 days of antibiotics & told me to come back 2 weeks after I finish them and do another urinalysis.

I have another question, which I posted in a separate topic but it got deleted so I'm guessing I should have posted it here in the first place.

About 2 years ago I had a significant period of swelling in my ankles & feet. It lasted 8 weeks, maybe 3 months, (i think, i can't really remember). It would come & go for several days at a time. I still get very slight swelling, usually just of the inside of my ankle and it's usually just one day every few weeks, but I was kind of worried about it. Isn't that a sign of kidney function problems? I have hypothyroidism too, which I have read can also make you swell, but I'm still worried.
 lindzyb - Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:06 pm

Well today I had another weird symptom that scared the pants off me. I was sitting here at my work desk, all the sudden (in the same area I get the pains from my kidney infection) I have this sensation of something blowing up, like somebody putting air into a balloon... it goes up and up and up then all the sudden like a bubble pops (that was the feeling I got) & it goes away. Afterward I had a little bit of pain in that area, not much but enough to make me worry. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? My mom told me it was just gas, but being that I am already scared about my kidneys I just wanted to be sure...
 lindzyb - Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:01 pm

Just to update:
My doctor did some blood tests & said my kidneys were functioning perfectly. I am going to take that answer and roll with it, and stop worrying so much :P
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:48 pm

User avatar Yes, I agree with your doctor. Good to hear you're feeling better.

|