News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Renal Failure

Question: FSGS & Extreme Edema

weedheaded - Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:01 am

I was recently diagnosed w/ FSGS. I currently weigh about 40 lbs. more than my normal weight. I just started steroid therapy this week, and I take Lasix and also meds for thyroid, cholesterol and high blood pressure.

My main concern is the swelling of my scrotum. The swelling of the feet, ankles, calves, knees, thighs, hips, and stomach I can deal with. But my scrotum has swollen to the size of a large grapefruit. I can't walk normally, I can't sit down for any extended period of time, I can't sleep comfortably. It presents all kinds of problems.

My doctor doesn't seem overly concerned about my scrotum. He said all the weight will come off gradually, maybe 2-3 months (I gained it in about 1 week) and that my scrotum will progress at the same rate. I don't know what I'm going to do if that's the case. I can't go to work like this. I went out this morning and bought an XL jock strap, but the problem is the waist is way too wide, and the part that actually holds your sack is way too small. I'm thinking about asking my friend Sally to take two of them and sew it into one super jock strap.

All kidding aside, though, I would appreciate any suggestions, advice, or even just related experiences from anyone who has gone through something like this before. Thank you. God bless.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:58 pm

User avatar Hi Weedheaded,

This can be a difficult situation. Your doctor is correct that the best way to correct this is slowly. Rapid removal of large volumes of fluid can cause dramatic and dangerous problems with electrolytes and other body systems. The trick is managing the swelling until it resolves.

The excess fluid is basically gravity dependent so it will tend to collect in areas that are lower, such as the legs and the scrotum. It may help some to try to elevate your scrotum while you are lying flat. This can be done with pillows. While standing, if you are not able to find a supporter you may be able to make one that will work at least a little with some gauze wrap (commonly called Kerlex) that can be obtained from your local pharmacy.

Follow up with your doctor is important.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here