News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Renal Failure

Question: Kidney Donor

helpme00 - Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:06 am

I am a 17 year old boy and I want to donate my kidney to a woman who needs a kindey transplant if I am a match. Would I be able to donate my kindey even though I am under 18 year of age with parent permission?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:34 pm

User avatar Hi Helpme00,

The rules regarding living organ donation by a minor vary from state to state; however, in general, they are very restrictive such that often it is not allowed. If it were a relative receiving the chances may be higher but for non-related donation the likelihood of this being approved is low.

This doesn't necessarily mean it can't happen. Just be sure that you and your parents are fully aware of all the risks of such a procedure, which are extensive.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here