Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Elevated Creatine levels

lyndabee1007 - Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:59 am

Hi - My mother is a 74 year old women with a history of Breast Cancer, hypertension, and has a family history of diabetes- though she has not had any symptoms of this yet.

She's been feeling puny for about a month now, with flu-like symptoms (diarrhea, nausea - some vomiting). The doctor ran some blood tests and said that her creatine level was at a 5.

I'm just wondering what some of the causes of this might be. As always, we're always scared of cancer, but if I can tell her some other obvious causes - it may get her mind off the scary ones - and give her some other options to look - and hope for.

This is an excellent site - and I've already found a great deal of information on this.

I appreciate your reply.

Thanks.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:04 am

User avatar Dear Lynda,

The increased creatinine in your mother's case could be secondary to dehydration because of the diarrhea and the vomiting she has been having and she might need iv fluids as hydration.

The hypertension can be the cause for this renal failure.

Cancer per se does not cause renal failure unless it causes obstruction of the urinary passages with urine backup into the kidneys and that's why an ultrasound has to be done and a ct scan of the abdomen sometimes has to done as well.

Another important cause that should not be overlooked is new medications that your mom started to take or any medication in general that can cause kidney problems and the most notorious ones in general and in elderly population in particular are the pain killers such as ibuprofen, advil, aleve and the like. They are used more by the elderly population because of arthritis issues.

All nephrotoxins (harmful substances to the kidneys should be avoided). If she is taking medications that are cleared by the kidneys, the doses of these medications have to be reduced and adjusted and she has to have an ultrasound of the kidneys as mentioned above.

It is up to her primary care physician to decide whether or not her case needs to be supervised by a nephrologist or not.

lyndabee1007 - Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:14 pm

Dr. Mokhtar - thank you so much for responding. My mother actually had an ultrasound on her kidneys this morning. I think your comments about the medications may well be the culprit. It sounds like her primary care physician is following the best course of action, and has already replaced one of her meds. (don't have the details on this).

Your information has been a big help. thanks again!

|