Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Abnormal lab results

mom2two - Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:22 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started noticing a rash on my legs about 6 weeks ago. I tried over the counter meds which didn't work. Then about 3 weeks ago I started bruising in the same area as the rash, but the rash had started spreading to my arms and torso areas and they also started bruising. And I have been exhausted lately and have had 3 episodes in the last 2 months where I feel like I am blacking out, you know where your vision starts getting black and closing in on you. I have not passed out, but had to lay down quickly to get it to go away.

I finally got worried and went to the dermatologist who mildly treated the rash, but was concerned about the bruising and ordered some blood work. And I have been exhausted lately
They called me a few days later and said it had nothing to do with dermatology, that my lab work came back abnormal and that I needed to go to the ER no later than tomorrow to have everything checked by a doctor more experienced in these matters.
So the next day I went to the ER thinking the worst and they started by repeating the same blood test. The ER doc walked back in the room and said...well, everything is fine...everything was normal and sent me home with different, stronger meds than the dermatologist. I finally got out of a nurse what the results were and this is all I know (of the first abnormal results)
platelet count was high
AST was high
ALP was high
RDW was high

Should I be concerned about the different results?
Should I get another blood test retaken?
Should I be concerned abouth the first results and what do they indicate?

Please let me know so I can go from here.

Thank You
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:45 am

User avatar Dear Mom2two,

The combination of spontaneous bruising and being fatigued is somewhat worriesome, at least in my personal opinion.

At this point, i think it is best that you go see your doctor and have a thorough physical and repeat of all the blood tests just to make sure that everything is ok.

|