Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Dialysis

Question: Coils and fistulas.... I'm confused

susanrhodes27 - Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:25 am

My mom is on dialysis. Recently she had a access put in her arm. After being on the machine and having problems consistently because low blood flow, we went to have it checked out. Turns out the access wasn't closed off properly. The doctor did a procedure to insert a coil to close it off, the coil didn't stay and got caught in the bloodstream and is now lodged in her lung. The doctors are saying to leave it there because surgery would damage the lung even more. Is this a good idea? Could the coil be problematic?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:56 pm

As strange as it may seem, the coil staying put is less likely to cause a problem than going in to get it, largely because it is made of material intended to dwell in the body's tissues, so it's unlikely to cause a problem unless it eventually moves into a spot where it is blocking something. This is also unlikely, because of the coil design, which will likely cause some scar tissue to grow into and around it, holding in still. Going in to remove it when it's not causing a problem could actually be a lot more traumatic. Of course, if some problem, as unlkely as it is, should develop in the future, then removal would have to be decided upon by weighing risk vs. benefit. It should cause no problem where it is, however.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and your mom.

|