Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Renal Failure

Question: Severe Lower Left Flank Pain!

thedude111 - Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:57 pm

I have been having lower left Flank pain now for a week with it getting worse everday. I finally went to the urgent care with no success, they said the ct and x-ray showed no signs and same with blood test. Also my urine test came back pretty much normal as well. What could be going on here, it could be muscular but it feels like it is alot deeper than that. Plus when or if I flex my back muscles there are no pains and if I flex my Left Oblique, there is no pain. However when I am relaxed or if I tuch it or someone else touches it, it feels extremely tender. I am sorry if this is not even the right forum but I was not sure where to go. I have had muscle injuries before and it does not feel the same. I mean especially since I have not even been doing anything that would cause such an injury and I have pulled/torn muscles and this feels nothing like that. Plus there are no visible signes of a torn or brused muscle. Any help would be greatly appreciated with this matter.

Thanks much,

Greg
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:48 am

User avatar Dear greg

there are so many different causes of flank pain, ranging from renal, to diabetes, to muscular, urinary tract infection, or even neurological.

the fact that your doctor was able to rule out infection, renal and muscular causes, still leaves the possibility for a neurological cause. I am not saying that this is for sure what is causing your problem, but sciatica and peripheral nerve compression can lead to flank pain.

I am not sure if your pain was localized to one spot or involved other areas. the reason i am asking, is because pain induced by neurological casues, has the tendency to radiate to more than one area; eg sciatica; it involves the lower back and legs as well.

i hope you fell better
thanks

|