News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Ammonia Build Up In Body

Cindie - Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:35 pm

I am trying to find out the cause of how ammonia can build up in your body. This is in concern for my brother. He is 47 has COPD Congested Heart Failure. He was admitted into the hospital 4 days ago for fluid build up on his ankles and legs. Was doing fine and the two days later is now in ICU disorientated barely conscious, is also violent when he is Simi conscious. The ICU nurse is insisting this is alcohol related. My brother doesn't not drink, he may have a beer or two every now and then. The last time he had a drink was on New Year's Eve. Can you tell me what if anything else could cause ammonia to build up in his system?
Thank you for any information on this,
Cindie
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:15 pm

User avatar Hello Cindie,

There are several causes of increased ammonia levels. Alcohol is only one of many different issues. Ammonia is produced from the breakdown of proteins. It is then processed by the liver and excreted. There are a few other pathways but the liver is the main processing center. If his ammonia levels are becoming elevated it is very possible that his liver is having problems processing it.

I suspect that his doctors are actively trying to determine what the cause of this is. Keeping in touch with his doctors will be your best conduit of information.

Best wishes. I do hope this resolves quickly and your brother gets better soon.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here