Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: flank pain.....low grade fever.....loss of appetite

Anonymous - Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:30 pm

HI I am new to this and have been doctoring for a very long time....I am dealing with flank pain in my right side.....I don't know where to go to search this... :( I have had bladder infections nearly all of my life.....my kidney tests I have had done show "normal" I recently had a colonoscopy, hysterectomy.......please if any one has any help for me or lead me to the right direction
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:52 pm

User avatar Dear Rhondal,

Thank you very much for using our website.

What you are complaining from could be symptoms of having kidney problems, liver problems, gall bladder problems, colon problems, lung problems, bones or muscles problems or abnormal collection of fluid like an abscess or something.

These are the organs present in the right flank.

But since you had bladder infections nearly all your life then i would go with kidney problems till proven otherwise. You did not mention what type of kidney tests did you have that came back normal. Did you have a urine analysis which the one that shows the presence or absence of an infection in the urine. You could also develop a kidney stone.

One of the most challenging symptom that any physician could encounter in his/her practice could be abdominal discomfort or pain. It usually is directed by the accompanying symptoms that the patient has in addition to other characterisitics like the place of the pain and whether it go any where else? Any special maneuvers that relief the pain? and so forth.

Gall bladder in females also can give symptoms similar to those of lots of other diseases.

My advice to you is to
1. Perfrom a urine analysis if you have not done.
2. Have an ultrasound of your gall bladder (if you still have it and was not removed surgically in the past).
3. Liver function tests.
4. Complete blood count to make sure that you do not have an infection hidden somewhere because of the low grade fever that you have been having.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

|