Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Severe, but short lasting, kidney pain

sarah_jane1975 - Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:26 pm

Just wondered if anyone can help me. I'm 32 and have had blood in my urine since I was about 18. I had tests, including cystoscopy, when I was about 20 and nothing was found to be abnormal. The blood isn't visible and I have always just accepted it shows up in urine tests.
Over the last year I have been experiencing fairly mild pain in the region of my back exactly over where my kidneys are. I have been diagnosed with UTIs from my urine samples and treated for them. These have recurred a few times but the hospital recently checked a sample and I am apparently fine at the moment.
I am now getting occassional severe pain from my kidney - usually one at a time - the pain appears without warning and lasts about ten minutes but it is severe, reminds me of being in labour, feeling like I am being stabbed in a kidney. I usually feel like I could faint when this happens. Then the pain goes and I am fine.
The doctor just tests my water, sees the blood show up and presumes it's another water infection and treats it but I'm starting to wonder if it is yet another infection.
I'm a bit worried as my mum has chronic renal failure - mainly due to the duplex kidneys she was born with- now partly removed. I know I don't have duplex from the tests I had when I was 20 but could other kidney probs be genetic? I really want to look after my kidneys in case I need to give my mum one someday.
Thanks for any advice
Sarah x
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:55 am

User avatar Dear Sarah

you said that your pain is often treated as a urinary tract infection, i wonder was the possibility of other renal causes eliminated? like calculi or kidney stones? obstructive uropathy?

i hope you feel better

thanks
 sarah_jane1975 - Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:23 pm

Thanks for your reply. No I have never had kidney stones etc ruled out. I have suggested to the doctor that this could be a possible cause but I feel like I'm coming up against a brick wall, told it's only a UTI. I don't think the doctor's believe how severe the pain gets for me. I have no tests or scans on my kidneys for 12 years now.
Sarah x

|