Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Kidney pain

MadiHayHai - Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:57 pm

I am a 28 year old female. Four years ago while pregnant I had a kidney infection in my right kidney and was admitted to the hospital for 6 days.
About a year after that I continued having dull pain in my right flank area.
Sometimes the pain would be sharp and actually take my breath away.
I went to my Dr. and he did blood work which came back negative. From there he ordered and IVP but everything was normal.

My problem now is. I was diagnosed with a UTI by my GYN on Sept. 15th after 3 days of symptoms. I went becasue I could see blood in my urine. (I only ever had one UTI and that happened after a stay in the hospital with a catheter in place.) I also had back pain and nausea, and buring after urination that lasted for awhile after urinating.
They took a urine sample through a catherter and put me on Cipro.
That Friday the 17th, I had a physical with my family Dr. and told him that I had been diagnosed with a UTI, but I had not recieved the results back yet, and I was NOT feeling better, actually my back was killing me even more. I still could see blood in my urine and still had buring more AFTER I urinated. He pulled up the results and told me I definitly had a UTI but the bacteria I had was Staph and the Cipro wouln't take it away. He put me on Augmentin. In the mean time my right flank pain is slowing progressing.
Monday the 20th my GYN Dr. calls back and asks how I am feeling. Not any better. I told her of my appointment with my Family Dr. and how he changed my med. She said he only got the piliminary results and I needed to go on Bactrim. This was my 3rd antibiotic. I took the Bactrim for 2 days and got really sick. I was allergic to the Bactrim. I got itchy and slept for the two days I was on it. My family Dr. told me to stop it and to come in the next day for an appointment. He was booked I needed to see another Dr. in the practice. Although the burning was gone, no more "seen" blood
in urine, I still have this flank pain. This Dr. looked at the urine results again. He said the Bactrim would get rid of the UTI symptoms but there was something on the test I didn't understand. Something came up and I can't remember the exact name but all I can refer to was "Rod" and he said the test didn't specify what it was. But whatever that was the Bactrim wouldn't get rid of it and I can't take it anyway. So he put me on Levaquin 750 mgs. for 5 days. Today is my last dose. But since yetserday the flank pain got worse. I can't bend, breathing hurts, just sitting down feels like I'm shoving my kidney under my ribs. The pain goes all the way around to the front under my rib cage. It's very painful. And makes me short of breath.
I get some relief from sitting with my heating pad, but otherwise Tylenol, or Alleve doesn't alleviate the pain. I have to get another urine sample on Oct. 2nd. He said if that comes back postive then they will start looking into other things.
But in the mean time should I be concerned?
 MadiHayHai - Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:44 pm

I am still having pain, along with some cloudy urine. Called the Dr.
Getting CT on Monday. I'll update with results. Maybe kidney stones.
 MadiHayHai - Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:12 pm

Okay, quite a long story but I'll try my best to lighten it up. I'm writing this becasue this may be some use to someone.

I had gotten a CT done w/contrast. Screw up on my Family Drs. part.
Big lesson. If your Dr. is looking for stones DO NOT drink contrast. On CT's stones show up white, contast is white. Not hard to figure out.

They went through with the CT anyway. Those results didn't show any stones but did show a dilated R ureter tube. I ended up at the ER getting pain meds and also was sent home with some. They didn't help!
I was referred to a urologist,incidently the same one I had seen 4 years previous while in the hospital with my "kidney infection." Come to find out they weren't actually sure if it was an infection or a stone! LOL

Between all of this I kept informing every nurse and Dr. I encountered that I had recieved barium 3 days previous and have not expelled it yet.
I thought this may obsure any further testing they may have to do. The ER DR. had done blood work which wasn't done on me yet and an ultrasound.

The next day I fell ill. Between the narcotics which constipates you and the barium that seemmed to make it worse I had blown up like I was five months pregnant. Back to the ER at 1 am. I was x-rayed which showed I did still ahve the barium in me. They diagnosed me with gastristis.

The following day I finally had my appointment with the urologist. Knowing this was my last and final attempt in having anyone listen to me. I was ready. I was in pain. The pain meds were not working. But I couldn't take them anyway because my stomach was ripped apart. I lost 3 pounds from the beginning of this. I was tired and wanted to be told what was wrong!
The urologist didn't even read my fial which the nurse carefully prepared by finding every test I had done so far. He walks in the room asks me why I was there (I love when they do that, after 2 times of you telling them BEFORE your appointment!) So I ebgin telling him arrive that I was referred becasue they found a dialated ureter tube. He says, they didn't find anything. I said "This is what the ER Dr. told me." I said,"I have the paper right here!" He leaves the room. The nurse comes in " I know you just gave us a urine sample, but do you think you can give us another. Or I'm going to have to catheterize you." HUH? "Okay I'll try." "Is two drops enough?" Sure. The Dr. calls me over to his area and starts asking questions. I tell him in order for him to fully undertsand I had to start from the beginning. He say "I'm all ears." I start by telling him it began with a UTI that I believe was caused by a stone because in all of my 28 years alive I have never had a UTI. Through the whole UTI I had flank pain that just got worse. 4 diffrent antibiotics finally took it away. In the meantime the back pain started radiating to under my right rib and down into my groin. That was were the CT came in. Then I explained the Barium and what the Tech told me about stones and barium. The Drs. eyes light up and the nurses all knew too. The CT w/contrast would NOT detect any stones. So he finally decided to look at my chart. Read the results of the CT and did see they found a dilated ureter tube on my R side. HE LISTENED! I was crying!

He decided to first clean the barium out. They gave me two enemas. YAAAY! What fun. But it helped. And redo the CT two days wo/contrast! I have been feeling a lot better! Still have some pain but manageble and I am eating again.
I got the results of the CT today.
Well, the ureter is not dilated anymore. He belives it may hvae been dilated becasue the stone was stuck at some point. They do believe is was a stone. The CT can not see far down enough where they think this stone maybe. The only option would be to scope me. But we opted against that becasue I am feeling better. Why make things worse. Let the stone, if there is one, pass. They believe it is small enough to pass since it has moved, but it could have gotten stuck again.

Now, since I have not seen the stone pass. I have been straining religiously! There could be one of three things going on. One, the stone passed and there was residual pain. Two I'm passing fragments, or three the stone is in the tube really low.

So it's wait and see right now. I'm not in PAIN like I was before. I'm not too worried. I just don't want it to happen again and am going to find out what I need to do to try to minimize my chances. I have cut out caffine, am drinking ALOT more water. I try to stay active through the whole thing to help this pass. I seen online that there may be supplmets that may help stone forming.
These are magnisium and B12 I believe but I will talk this over with the Dr. before starting any suppliments. I hope my LOOOONG story has helped someone.

|