Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Flank Pain/Hematuria

saintj - Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:45 pm

I have had a pain in my flank that originally came on with moderate fever and chills about a year ago. The pain has been there all this time - sometimes less, sometimes more. Tonight is somewhat more. I've had fever and chills a couple more times, but usually not. If I move wrong it feels like someone punched me. I actually involuntarily grunt from the pain. I am also experiencing urinary frequency, (sometimes as many as 20 times per day), I have to get up at least once per night and urinary urgency. This can be episodic also - sometimes is's just 8-10 times per day, but always once per night. I also can be very thristy sometimes, but my blood sugar is normal.

I mentioned this pain to my doctor and told him the above symptoms. He ordered a urinalysis in which the only abnormal values were Occult blood in the urine (small) and Erythrocytes 6 to 10/HPF. I don't believe I've ever had blood in my urine before. I did have a strep infection in my bladder a number of years ago (3) and took meds for it.

I am feeling extremely fatigued and can barely get through the day. Also, I'm nauseated frequently.

Am I right to be concerned about these symptoms? I don't know how much blood in urine would be a cause for alarm. I do take ibuprofen as needed, but other than that I can't understand why I would have this.

Thanks.

saintj
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:10 am

User avatar Hi saintj,
It is abnormal to have blood in your urine. Although a small percentage of people do have a minute amout of blood that shows up on a urinalysis for no apparent reason. Some also have blood in their urine as a result of, for example, excessive exercise and medications.I would suggest that you call your doctor especially since you are still having pain. He/she may want to do additional testing, blood work, urine tests, etc. and possibly send you to a nephrologist to rule out any potential problems if he/she is unsure of the cause.

|