Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: increased swelling/decreased urination when do I worry?

heavenleigh - Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:10 pm

Hello, My symptoms are pretty basic- I have extreme water retention daily. When I get up in the morning my face (and eyes) is swollen, fingers/hands, ankles and feet. Some mornings are worse than others. I have had people say to decrease my salt/sodium intake but they don't understand that I don't use salt in anything if possible, I read labels on all food products to make sure the sodium level is low, I do not and never have liked salt in my food. I have had kidney stones, kidney and bladder infections on many occasions and have had lab work done which only ever found mild dehydration. I was started on Demadex 10mg about 6 months ago and then was increased to 20 mg 2 months ago and last week increased to 40mg because of increased swelling and decreased urination. I tend to weigh myself in the morning when I am swollen and then again in the evening to monitor the variations and on average I will be at least 4-5 lbs less in the evening and sometimes as much as 8-9 lbs. I am starting to become concerned that there may be more to this but I have no other symptoms that trigger anything specific. Am I missing something?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:55 am

User avatar Hello there,

Given the limitations of the internet, I am unable to assess the extent of your water retention. Have you been assessed by a physician and has the diagnosis of generalized edema been made?

This would require a battery of investigations which would include a heart checkup, renal function tests (especially with your renal history) as well as nutritional / albumin status as well as liver function tests, pregnancy.

The renal function may need to be assessed in more detail with assessment of glomerular filtration rate.

Normally the body can balance intake with output and a change in diet should not normally lead to water/salt retention.

Please keep us updated.

|