Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: abnormal odor to urine

sweetakala - Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:23 pm

i have had a very unusual smell to my urine for about 4 months. I noticed when I was sick with the flu and I had diarrehea for a few days. about that same time i began having this strange odor to my urine. it almost has a sulfur-ish scent to it, it is very strong. it has a cloudy apperance sometimes (this is not unusual for me). most of the time my urine has a dark color to it with an almost orange tint. It is strongest in the morning or when its has been a few hours since i've gone last. I have no pain or change in frequency or urgency. I have no insurance so i haven't been to a doctor, but its been like this for 4 months and I am worried that there is something seriously wrong with me. I have tried to research myself what could be causing this and I think I may have metabolic acidosis. would this cause urine to have a abnormal odor? there is probably several other things that could be causing this I hope you can help me pinpoint what the problem is and what I need to do to treat it. thanks for your time.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:34 pm

User avatar Dear Akala,

Thank you very much for using our website.

What you are describing sounds to me like concentrated urine more than anything else.

i think the best thing to do is to drink a large amount of fluids every day and see the effect this will have on your urine appearance and odor.

If this persists, you could just have a simple urine analysis to make sure that there is nothing to be worried about.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

|