News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Severe back pain-what is this?

manmountain - Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:11 pm

Last Thursday (08/21/08) I got a pain in my back out of nowhere that rapidly got worse. It is on the right side on the bottom rib, near the Serratus Posterior Inferior Muscle. Later on I had bouts of severe spasms that caused unimaginable pain. On a scale of 1-10 it was an 11+. I thought I had a Kidney Stone. I went in to Urgent care last Saturday and they found microscopic hematuria (blood in Urine). They told me it was probably a small stone that would pass on it's own and gave me Ketorolac, a dangerous non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, and Cyclobenzaprine, a muscle relaxer. The extreme pain has been diminished by the drugs but the pain is still there and when the drugs begin to wear off it gets worse again. Today (08/27/08) I saw another doctor and they did another urine test and an X-ray. This time there was no blood in the Urine and they did not see any stones on the X-ray. The pain is still there though and I don't know what it is. The Doctor said there is a small chance that the Urine all came from the other Kidney, and Uric Acid Stones don't show up on X-ray. He suggested a CT scan, but I am holding off for now. It seems unlikely that there would be no blood in the urine if it was a kidney stone. Some other symptoms that I've had are wrap around pain in the ribs, some slight and brief pain in the abdomen and testes, and difficulty urinating (no pain though). I do not feel sick at all either. I should also mention that I thought I injured the Serratus Posterior Inferior muscle 17 years ago, and it seems to get pulled every once in awhile. The pain from that injury has left me out of action for weeks at a time in the past, but the pain I just experienced was on a whole new level. It was so much worse than the original injury, and I did nothing to traumatize the muscle. I am starting to wonder if some of those pains in the past that I thought were muscle pulls could have something to do with my kidney? So anyway, my question is, what could this be? Uric Acid Stones with no blood in the urine, Kidney disease, Kidney Infection with no fever, Myofascial Pain Syndrome, the worst muscle pull in history, or something I haven't thought of yet? Any ideas? Thanks-Justin
 manmountain - Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:03 pm

Thanks for nothing...

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here