News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Low eGFR but no action by Doctor

amy_c_78 - Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:30 pm

I am a 30 year old female. Height 6'0" and 180lbs, exercise 3-4 times a week, don't smoke, don't drink, normal blood pressure and blood sugar levels but my eGFR according to lab results is 53 and from what I can tell that means stage 3 kidney disease. Dr. said not to worry but keeps repeating the blood test (4 times in three months) without taking any other action. I am horribly exhausted lately and finding it difficult to stick with exercise routine. I have fairly severe flank pain. In 2004, I was diagnosed with endometriosis. The surgeon said he found scar tissue growing on my bladder and kidney's. Could this be the causing decreased kidney function? What should I do? I am very scared!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:34 am

User avatar Hello,
It true the result of your estimated glomerular infiltration rate indicate moderate kidney damage. If your other kidney functions are normal (creatinine and urea), physicians usually keep patients on follow up and make sure they avoid situations that may deteriorate their kidney function like frequent use of medications that affect the kideny or contrast dyes during radiologic exams.
Physicians seek nephrologist consultation when eGFR is 30ml/min or below.

This surely a concerning situation that mandates proper investigations. However, keeping in mind that this is a calculated way to estimate the GFR and not the most accurate way to test for the GFR. The best way to do so is by measuring the 24 hours urine chemical concentrates (24 hour Creatinine Clearance).

You have mentioned that during the surgical treatment of the endometriotic pelvic lesions, the physician observed some sort of fibrosis around the bladder and possibly the lower part of the ureter. This may cause obstruction in the urine flow from the kidney into the bladder. Consequently back pressure will cause deterioration of kidney function and possibly formation of renal cysts.

If this is the case, you better consult a nephrologist who would evaluate the proper therapeutic intervention before the situation is worsened. An US abdomen is helpful. Other investigations are based on your physician’s evaluation of the situation.

I would advise you to follow up with your physician and to discuss with him your concerns.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here