Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrotic Syndrome

Question: presumed lgA nephropathy or thin membrabe disease

W451M - Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:36 pm

Hi for the past 10 years a have had blood in urine its not visible blood but just my urine has a dark yellow to brown in colour. i have had most of the tests which inc ultra scan with contast,cat scan with contrast,cystoscopy of the bladder, full blood count which also inc tests for kidney function etc. i have seen a urologist and a renel pysician, all these tests showed normal my kidney function was also normal GFR in excess of 90 mls/min,serum creatinine was 81 mMol/L when i last seen the consultant which is 2 years ago he said i had 3+++ of blood in urine and 2++ of protein when checked on a 24 hour urine he also said this is presumed either lgA nephropathy or thin membrane disease he also said normal blood pressure,renel function and absence of significant proteinuria which is good sign of progress. so my qs is how is it possible for a doc to diagnose me with just a 24hour urine sample. i also seen a urologist who done a syctoscopy of bladder this year and said my bladder was inflamed they took biopsy of bladder which came back normal and i had another kidney test which they said it was normal function over 90. i don't wanna have renel failure :( so i need ur kind advice to my qs about the disease and the doc just persuming the diagnostic. av had the cat scan with contrast to most parts of the bodys organs which showed no mass what so ever everything was normal.. thankyou
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:11 pm

Well the good news is there is nothing bad that jumps out from all the tests. This is promising. As to what might be causing it, yes, possibly thin membrane disease or some equally obscure problem. However, while I am not especially knowlegeable in the field of nephrology, I have to ask you this: are you, by any chance, a serious runner? The reason I ask is this is often seen in people who run, and is then attributed to literal "bouncing" or "pounding" of the kidneys. If you're not a runner then that becomes a moot issue, but it should be ruled in/out first. If the answer is no, then you probably will need to be followed for thin membrane disease, but complications from this are fairly rare.

I hope this is helpful.

|