Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Drug Testing and creatinine

alpha19111 - Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:58 am

I work as an Alcohol and Drug counselor. When we send urine samples to the lab to get TLC tested, the results come back showing the drug that was positive or negative and also showing creatinine levels in mg/dL.

My question is what are the standards for the levels of creatinine?
I have searched all over online to find a chart for normal UA levels versus diluted.

Thank you,
Mike
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:25 pm

According to the lab values reference guide I have here with me, normal serum creatinine range for men (as well as both genders with marked muscular development) is 0.5-1.5 mg/dL. The normal range for women is 0.6-1.2 mg/dL

I hope this is helpful to you.
 ToxPro - Thu May 28, 2009 5:02 pm

Original post is about urine creatinine, not serum creatinine - you are comparing apples and oranges.

Typical urine creatinine falls within a 40-250 mg/dL range, with a mean around 100 mg/dL.

A urine specimen is deemed diluted if the urine creatinine falls between 5-20 mg/dL and the urine specific gravity is between 1.0010 and 1.0030

|