Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: glucosomine causing erection and ejaculation problems

chopper1 - Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:46 pm

My boyfriend is a weightlifter and takes glucosomine for his joints, but it is causing problems with him holding an erection and ejaculation. I have researched the problem and found nothing. I am wondering could this be something else that may be combining with the glucosomine in his body doing this or what? When he stops taking the glucosomine, he has no problems. So, I'm thinking it is the glucosomine, right? Is there something else he can take such as shark cartilage for his joints that won't cause this problem. Help please?!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:17 am

Glucosamine is used to treat of arthritis, mainly the mild forms. Some supplement products were reported later at the post-market period to have possibly harmful impurities that caused side effects.

So, it is always better to check with the pharmacist or the doctor in regard to the particular brand in use.

You cab also check the FDA website about any product for safety or effectiveness. To my knowledge, glucosamine has not been evaluated by the FDA for safety, effectiveness, or purity so; potential risks and/or benefits of glucosamine are still to be defined.

I would advise you to convince him get checked by his doctor; it could be also due to a physical or mental stress.

Please keep us updated.

|