Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Rare Kidney Transplant Rejection for 14 yr old son

sunnysunshine - Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:27 pm

I hope someone here can help.
On October 3rd, 2008 my 14 yr old son received a kidney transplant from me (mom) we were a match both times they tested. The transplant itself went great. He was given campath prior to surgery and now is on prograf and cellcept. Plus other meds. valcite, smztmp and magnesium. 10 days after transplant, his creatine rose and continued to do so. We did an ultrasound and the kidney looked perfect. creatine continued to rise. we did a bi-opsy and the first one came back looking good but they noted toxicity. 2 days later we were informed that he was in rejection. This is a rare rejection because he has developed anti-bodies to me. they tell us if it were not for the campath given the kidney would have been gone as soon as they hooked it up. His white cells are not attacking the kidney but it is as if I was never a match for him in the first place. we did 4 treatments of Plasmapheresis and 4 of IVIG therapy. during the treatments his creatine stayed steady between 1.6- 1.8 . two days later the creatine rose to 2.6 . We are looking for anyone who might have seen this before and has treated this kind of rejection. Our dr is very dedicated and he has been doing research on this as well. Also very strange is the fact that when given prograf 2mg morning and night prograf level was 6.3. when reduced to 1mg am and pm - prograf level rose to 12.0. It took three days on this dosage to reduce the prograf level. doesnt make sense with his kidney function for him to be holding prograf. any help would be appreciated as we try to figure this puzzle out.

sunny
 YaNiRa88 - Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:24 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, I'm a kidney recepient and have had my kidney for 11 years now, i've never heard anything like this before. When i received my kidney transplant wich was also donated to me by my mother they started me on Neoral 100 mg gell capsule and another thing is your son on Prednisone? I'm asking because all kidney recepients take prednisone and you did not mention your son taking it. Where are you located and what hospital did your son receive his transplant and is being cared in. I can give you my Renal transplant nurse number and maybe you could ask them for a second opinion, i would love to help you and your son i know how hard it is to be in this situation, i hope everything turns out good for you guys. best wishes

YaNiRa

yanira142003@yahoo.com

|