News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: leg muscle weakness

tjames2 - Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:32 pm

My aunt has noticed over the past several months that she is having increasing difficulty lifting her left leg to go up steps and that the toe of her left shoe is more worn than the right one. Upon examination by her physician, muscle weakness of several muscles was detected. My aunt describes her muscles tingling, burning and numbness in her left hip and leg as well as occasional blurred vision. Her doctor sent her to the nearby medical center for further tests. An MRI revealed lesions on some of her nerves and a lumbar puncture indicated that there was protein in her CSF. I am a pre-med student. She told me to figure it out and refuses to talk about until I have done research. I have looked and searched; i just can't figure it out. She told me there 3 posible clinical problems that could be the answer, but i have spend days and I cant find a list of symptoms that fit. I know eventually I will have to figure this stuff out on my own, but i'm only in my first year....PLEASE HELP...
 Dr. A. Saif - Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:34 pm

User avatar Dear Tracy,

It seems to me that your Aunt may have a particular reason for not telling what the condition she has. Our responsibility lies with the patient, as you know from being a med student. From the way you describe I suspect she knows (or has been told) what is wrong, and I guess, so do some others of us in the forum I do not doubt. In this case it would be wrong of us to discuss the matter on this forum. If on the other hand she had some uncertainty about the diagnosis, and it her that needs the help then I can help. For your research a search on the internet for "csf" "protein" "weakness" and this will will give you the diagnosis.

Regards

Saif

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here