Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Renal Failure

Question: What are some ways you know your kidneys are failing?

adiggs36 - Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:23 pm

I just have a question about kidneys failing. When I was in the hospital mine failed due to medication Vancamycin(spelled wrong I know), I had a infection too lengthy to spell out. Other than feeling weak then, plus just sick overall. I am concerned that my kidneys may fail again. I just wanted to know what to look symptoms are present if they are not working properly. Thanks in advance.
Adiggs
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:55 pm

Unfortunately, some disorders in the urinary tract do not give symptoms unless they are irreversible and caused considerable damage. Kidney failure is one of them.

Moreover, when occur it gives clinical picture that can be shared with other organ failure like generalized weakness, loss of appetite, nausea, disturbed conscious level. So, the best way is to properly treat any predisposing factor or underlying conditions and to regularly follow up with specific tests.

Drug induced renal damage can range from reversible to irreversible forms. It is more common with certain medications and in patients with underlying kidney disease or dehydrated.

The degree of renal damage is diagnosed by kidney function tests (blood urea and creatinine), eGFR, and urine analysis. When reversible and properly treated the prognosis is very good and complete recovery is expected.
Vancomycin is one of the medications that can cause renal damage but it is reversible in the majority of cases and most of patients recover completely when it is discontinued.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor and to regularly check your kidney function if your doctor recommends doing so.

Please keep us updated.

|