News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: LUPUS with Acute Nephritis and SUPPLEMENTS

cancop - Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:07 pm

Hi there, I was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, with acute nephritis which has been in remission for about 5 years.. I am training for a body building competition and am exploring the possibility of taking the pro hormone called Epidrol. The reason I have chosen Epidrol is because I have done a lot of research and found that Epidrol seems to be one of the most Mild when is comes to negative side effects. I want to know if there is a direct risk with taking prohormones with my illness, aside from the commonly known side affects and risks with prohormones.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:39 pm

User avatar Hello,

The role of sex hormones in the development and organ affections IN systemic lupus is very complex. For example, female hormones are known to make women at higher risk for the disease activity while lower level of male hormones have the same effect in men.

So theoretically, any change in the level of sex hormones by the use of sex hormones supplements like testosterone, estrogen or even their antagonist would have an effect on the disease activity. Although a specific association between Epidrol and SLE activity has not been reported to my knowledge.

Before initiation of these supplements I would advise you to consult your doctor.

Hope you find this information useful.
Keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here