Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Mass Producing Kidney Stones

agrisham - Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:27 pm

Please help!!! I am 29 years old and have had diagnosed kidney stones since age 18 (1993). My kidney stones have occurred approximately one episode per year until June 2003. Last year I was diagnosed with a 3 cm x 3 cm kidney stone (the size of a hen's egg!!). I underwent 10+ lithotripsies from June 2003 to November 2003. I also had a right uretal stent placement in June 2003. In July 2003, I was admitted to the hospital for stent obstruction, my right kidney shut down, and staph infection. My urologist removed the stent and put in a nephrostomy tube, which I proceeded to have 3 more throughout the 2003 year. I also had 3 uretoscopic surgeries for stone removal. I finally passed all the fragments of this large stone in November but have proceeded to have multiple UTIs, including staph infection again in June 2004 and e.coli infection of the kidneys in November 2004 with a hospitalization. I also had a PICC line in June with Vancomycin administered at home for a month after release from the hospital. I have continued to mass produce kidney stones in both the left and right kidney, but more prominently in the right. I have been ultimately bedridden for the last 18 months with severe chronic right flank pain, nausea, vomiting frequently, and steady UTIs every month for which I have been on every imagineable antibiotic for the last 18 months. My thyroid has been checked, which has been normal, I have severe heat intolerance, and have chronically been on narcotics for 18 months for the right flank pain in my lower back and abdominal area. I have been evaluated by a nephrologist who has offered no help. He changed my diet, but I have still mass produced stones. My stones are oxylate and calcium based and my stones have been sent off numerous times to the labs with no additional help offered. I strain my urine on a daily basis and pass fragments of stones almost daily. I require visits to the emergency room on a monthly basis for severe pain. My urologist has just basically treated the symptoms but is at a standstill as to what is the underlying cause of my problems. I am looking beyond treating just the symptoms and I want to find out why I am producing stones so much. I am too young to be having so many problems with my right kidney. I was a very active person in athletics and exercise until June of 2003 and have basically been disabled since. I am unable to drive myself anywhere without severe pain and am limited to any physical activity such as house cleaning, working a regular 9 to 5 job, etc. due to weakness, nausea, and pain. I can barely take a shower daily without having to lie down afterwards. Please help me with suggestions of possibly a different type of doctor to evaluate me or tests that could be done to find the underlying cause. Each time I have a urinalysis (which is usually on a bi-weekly basis), I have protein, nitrites, and blood in my urine without fail. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I have done in depth research on the internet for my symptoms but my symptoms are related to so many different disorders that I don't know where to begin making suggestions to my doctor. I just want to get well!!! I am currentlly diagnosed with mass nephrolithiasis, bilateral hydronephronsis, and recurrent urinary tract infections.

Thank you so much in advance for your medical expertise and suggestions.
Angela
 fnwine40 - Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:31 pm

my sister has a niece with recurring kidney problems and her doctor told her to drink lemonade daily (fresh, of course). it's better than cranberry. she says it has helped alot. i used to make kidney stones quite regularly-i started at 12 and almost lost my kidney as a result. no one ever figured out why-but i do know this: after i eliminated most of the calcium from my diet-i stopped making stones. mine were mostly composed of uric acid and calcium from what the doctor told me. i didn't eliminate the calcium on purpose-just after i found out that they were made from that (and i made 2 stones during my pregnancy with my son-all that calcium floating around, i thought), i just developed a distaste for milk. hope the lemonade helps-i know it won't hurt to try. good luck, i really hope you find the solution to your problems.
 savemart55 - Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:27 am

Try this. It got rid of my dad's stones completely and I just started to see results myself. He told me to get some Poly Citra syrup which causes the urine to go from acid to alkaline. This changes the chemistry which allows stones to form. I hardly ever take drugs, even aspirin, so I carefully checked out the side effects of this stuff which are real minimal, and rare. I asked the pharmacist if I could just take an antacid or something and she said this stuff was a lot stronger and more effective. My urologist and my family doctor had never heard of this stuff, because that brand name is the Canadian version. It has a different US name. I felt better just taking 3 teaspoons of this stuff, so I decided to check out my PH (acid vs alkaline) level. I bought some test paper at Whole Foods, and sure enough I tested on the highest end of the acid scale. I was producing a small stone every 3 days or so. I have had stone problems for twenty years. I even sleep better now.
 ginger - Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:43 pm

Taking magnesium supplements has helped me avoid recurrent kidney stones. At the slighest hint of flank pain I gulp water like an elephant and take an additional magnesium tablet. So far so good!

|