Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Glomerulonephritis

Question: Urine Albumin

crystalbabe2809 - Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:04 am

My 8 year old daughter has just had a test result come back and it was 1099 ( normal range is 0-30) could someone please tell me what this could mean, she has FSGS for about 4 years now
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:59 pm

Since your daughter is already known to have FSGS for some time, and since the albumin level was so elevated, it would seem that at the time of the test either she was unusually dehydrated (a common cause of gross albumin in proteinuria) or was either beginning a phase of nephrotic syndrome (kidney failure). The latter can be transitory or progressive, depending on many factors unknown in this case. I would think, however, that in either case her doctor would react to this finding with concern and want to follow up to determine just what was going on, and probably repeat the test.

Since so little is known about the circumstances of this finding, other than the presence of FSGS, which could predispose to nephrotic syndrome, you'll have to depend on the doctor to follow this development and please do let us know what you find out. Best of luck to you and your daughter.

|