Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Renal Failure

Question: Renal Failure & Animals

supernal - Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:53 pm

I have an older sister who is 28 years old and has complete renal failure in both of her kidneys. I know that this question may seem frivolous, but I just don't know where to look, and after a few google queries, this is where I was led to. Hopefully someone can answer my question.

My older sister tells me that there can't be an animal in the house because of her renal failure. I personally don't see a connection between renal failure and animal dander but my knowledge of medicine is extremely limited.

Any and all information that can be provided in regards to this question would be extremely helpful, and I want to thank anyone who responds ahead of time.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:03 pm

I can only think of one reason why a healthy animal (or animals) shouldn't be present in a house where a person with kidney failure resides, unless the kidney failure is due to an underlying cause which involves an impaired or supressed immune system. If this is what has led to kidney failure in your sister, then that, in and of itself, would likely rule out the presence of animals, but would also be the cause of a whole new set of household rules and requirements which aren't mentioned. Removal of animals alone wouldn't make much sense, at least without an understanding of the underlying cause of the kidney failure.

I hope this is helpful. If there is more information you can provide, that would be helpful. It's not at all a frivolous question and could very well be a very serious one for whoever is living in the home with your sister, since pets are certianly ofen a crucial part of family life.
 supernal - Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:24 pm

Thank you very much for your help :). Your response was very informative.

|